It feels ironic that my first blog post of 2017 – whilst many are still trying not to fail in their ‘New Year New Me’ diets – is about food. But I’ve been craving these krispie cakes for weeks and finally got round to making them!
Before I get started, it’s worth noting that the original plan was to make krispie cakes with marshmallow and toffee, but after burning the toffees [SIDE NOTE: ignore all recipes that recommend putting toffees in the microwave to melt!!] I decided for this week, they’ll just be normal marshmallow ones…
I adapted this recipe from one I found on Nigella’s website.
200g mini marshmallows
250g (ish) rice krispies (to be honest I just kept pouring until there was a decent amount of rice krispies that were all well covered in marshmallow!)
- Melt the butter on a low heat, in a large non-stick pan.
- Once the butter is melted, add in the marshmallows and whilst constantly stirring, gently cook until they’re all melted (basically one big melted marshmallow 😍)
- Take off the heat and immediately add in the rice krispies until even coated in the marshmallow mixture
- Add to a greased and lined tin
- I found that using a piece of baking parchment to press the mixture into the corners was much easier than using a spoon as it’s sticky business!
- Refrigerate for 30 mins, then remove and add melted chocolate. I used chocolate coins left over from Christmas but any melted bar would be fine! Spread on top and pop back in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Cut, eat and enjoy!
I would also recommend breaking up some maltesers and adding them on top of the melted chocolate. I’m definitely going to try this next time!
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! Let me know if you give these a try and what you think of them!